Caring Veterinary Surgery Services for Dogs, Cats, Birds & Small Animal Pets
Maywood Veterinary Clinic provides our patients with the most advanced surgical techniques and technology for the widest variety of pet species. All patients are carefully screened for safety, and anesthetics are specifically tailored to your pet.
Surgical services and facilities include:
- Fully trained veterinary and technical staff
- Board certified surgeon available for consultation
- Laser surgery
- Heated surgery tables for greater comfort
- Advanced sterilization techniques
- Full blood testing
- Ecg and oxygen saturation monitors
- Intensive post-surgical care and pain management
All of our surgical technicians are certified, for an extra measure of safety. Our skilled professionals and advanced technology combine to ensure the safest, most efficient, state-of-the-art procedures for your pet.
Before administering anesthesia, we perform pre-surgical bloodwork to be sure your pet is in optimal health. We also run an EKG to test the patient’s heart. An IV catheter is inserted for safe administration of all medications and fluids during the surgical procedure.
While in recovery, your pet gets the undivided attention of one of our certified technicians. This technician monitors the patient closely throughout, checking vital signs often until the patient awakens, is fully alert, and comfortable.
Veterinary patients feel pain and discomfort after surgery and during recovery. We know that recognizing and alleviating pain is the essence of good patient care. Pet owners receive a pain management plan prior to patient discharge, typically with medications to administer at home.
Maywood Veterinary Clinic maintains a supply of blood for all types of pets, in case of emergency. The blood is collected from donor pets that live with their owners, and all blood is carefully screened for disease.
Owners of Diabetic Patients: please contact the clinic for specific pre-surgical instructions!
- Surgical patients are admitted to the hospital the morning of their procedures according to their scheduled drop off times. Technical admit appointments are scheduled between 7:30am and 8:30am, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- We ask that all patients fast the night before surgery. Do not feed your pet after 8:00pm and take water away before midnight.
- Upon arrival, please allow the patient to evacuate both bowel and bladder before being admitted. We ask that all cats be in a carrier and all dogs on a leash for the safety of our patients and clients.
- Upon admission, a blood test and EKG ensure that the patient is in optimal health and fit for anesthesia. Twenty minutes before surgery, your pet receives a pre-anesthetic.
- After surgery is complete and your pet is in recovery, one of our technicians will call you with a progress report to let you know how your pet is doing.
- All patients being discharged after surgery are to be picked up no later than 7:30PM, unless otherwise instructed by one of our veterinarians.
Maywood Clinic surgeries are performed in the afternoon hours:
- Dr. Buchholz performs surgeries on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Dr. Swan performs surgeries on Tuesdays.
- Dr. Mihalko performs surgeries on Fridays.
Contact the clinic with any questions regarding your pet’s surgery.